Monday 1 June 2015

Affirmative and negative sentences

Affirmative and Negative sentences

Here are some common patterns used for transforming affirmative sentences into negative sentences. The usual point to note is that ‘not’ is used in negative sentences. At the same time we must ensure that the meaning does not change.
(a) Akbar was the greatest of the Great Moghuls.
No other Moghul was as great as Akbar.
(b) Every student is present today.
No student is absent today.
(c) We found the hotel very good.
We did not find the hotel very bad.


Transform the sentences as directed.
(a) I am very tried. (change into negative)
(b) He is sometimes foolish. (change into negative)
(c) I am not so great as he. (change into affirmative)


1. I like to go to the seashore. (Make it negative.)
Ans. I don’t dislike going to the seashore.

2. He likes to go to the seashore.
Ans. He don’t dislike going to the seashore.

3. They like to go to the seashore.
Ans. They don’t dislike going to the seashore.

4. It is useless.
Ans. It is not useful.

5. There is little hurry.
Ans. There is no hurry.

6. He had only his daughter with him.
Ans. He had no one except his daughter with him.

7. I do not remember. (Make it affirmative)
Ans. I fail to remember.

8. I did not remember.
Ans. I failed to remember.

9. She does not remember.
Ans. She fails to remember.

10. It was never heard of in the history of Mumbai.
Ans. This was the first time in the history of Mumbai that it had been heard of.

11. I am as strong as him.

Ans. I am not stronger than him 

No comments:

Post a Comment