Monday 1 June 2015

Clauses And Phrases

Opmfd,What Are Clauses? (with Examples)
A clause is a group of words that includes a subject and a verb.

A clause can be distinguished from a
 phrase, which does not contain a subject and a verb (e.g., in the afternoon, drinking from the bowl).

An
 independent clause can express a complete thought (and can be a standalone sentence). A dependent clause is usually a supporting part of a sentence, and it cannot stand by itself as a meaningful proposition (idea).
Examples of Independent Clauses
Here are some examples of independent clauses (shaded):
·         Tara ate a cheese roll after she watched the news.
(Tara ate a cheese roll is an independent clause. It works as a standalone sentence.)
·         Even though his mother was a driving instructor, my cousin failed his driving test six times.

·         A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing. (Louis Hector Berlioz)
Examples of Dependent Clauses
Here are the same examples with the dependent clauses shaded:
·         Tara ate a cheese roll after she watched the news.
(The clause after she watched the news is a dependent clause. It does not work as a standalone sentence.)
·         Even though his mother was a driving instructor, my cousin failed his driving test six times.

·         A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.

·          
These three dependent clauses (or subordinate clauses as they're also called) could have been independent clauses. However, the opening word(s) (in these examples after, Even though, and but) turned them into dependent clauses. The opening words are known as dependent words, the main type of which is subordinating conjunctions.
How Are Clauses Used in Sentences?
Clauses can play a variety of roles in sentences. A clause can act as a noun, an adjective, or an adverb.
Noun Clauses
·         I cannot remember what I said last night.
(In this example, the clause acts like a noun.)
Compare the example above to this:
·         I cannot remember my speech.
(speech = noun)
Adjective Clauses
·         My dog, who usually refuses to go near the water, dived in the canal to chase a water vole.
(In this example, the clause acts like an adjective.)
Compare the example above to this:
·         My water-shy dog dived in the canal to chase a water vole.
(water-shy = adjective)
Read more about adjective clauses.

If an adjective clause could be removed without wrecking the sentence (i.e., it just adds additional information), then it should be offset with commas. (You could equally use brackets or dashes.) A clause which can be safely removed is called a
 non-restrictive clause. A restrictive clause, on the other hand, is one which cannot be removed because it's essential to the sentence. Restrictive clauses are not offset with commas. For example:
·         The man who lives next door is getting ruder.
(This is an example of a restrictive clause. You cannot remove it. There are no commas.)
·         Councilors Simon Smith, who lives next door, is getting ruder.
(This is an example of a non-restrictive clause. You can remove it. It's just additional information. That's why there are commas around it.)
Adverbial Clauses
·         He lost his double chin after he gave up beer.
(In this example, the clause acts like an adverb.)
Compare the example above to this:
·         He lost his double chin recently.
(recently = adverb)
What Is a Phrase? (With Examples)
A phrase is a group of words that stand together as a single unit, typically as part of a clause or a sentence.

A phrase does not contain a subject and verb and, consequently, cannot convey a complete thought. A phrase contrasts with a clause. A clause does contain a subject and verb, and it can convey a complete idea.
Here Are Some Examples of Phrases
Here are some examples of phrases in a well-known quote by Shirley Temple:
·         I stopped believing in Santa Claus when my mother took me to see him in a department store, and he asked for my autograph. (Shirley Temple)
(This phrase acts like a noun. It is the direct object of the verb stopped. This phrase is a gerund phrase.) 
·         I stopped believing in Santa Claus when my mother took me to see him in a department store, and he asked for my autograph.
(This phrase acts like a noun. It is the subject of the adverbial clause when my mother took me to see him in a department store.)
·         I stopped believing in Santa Claus when my mother took me to see him in a department store, and he asked for my autograph.
(This phrase acts like a noun. It is the object of the preposition for.) 
·         I stopped believing in Santa Claus when my mother took me to see him in a department store, and he asked for my autograph.
(This phrase acts like an adverb. It tells us where the activity took place. It is an adverb of place.)
The Hierarchy of Word Units
The hierarchy of word units is:
·         Word (e.g., Shark)
(A word is the smallest meaningful unit.) 
·         Phrase (e.g., A seven-foot tiger shark)
(A phrase is a single piece of information made up of more than one word. It will not contain a subject and a verb.)
·         Clause (e.g., When a seven-foot tiger shark arrived...)
(A clause is a single piece of information made up of more than one word which contains a subject and a verb.) 
·         Sentence (e.g., A seven-foot tiger shark arrived.)
(A sentence conveys a complete idea. It must contain at least one clause. Note: A clause that stands alone as a sentence is known as an independent clause.)
·         Complex Sentence (e.g., When a seven-foot tiger shark arrived, the crew stopped fishing.)
(A complex sentence is an independent clause supported by at least one other clause.) 
·         Compound Sentence (e.g., A seven-foot tiger shark arrived, and the crew stopped fishing.)
(A compound sentence is a sentence made up of at least two independent clauses.)


No comments:

Post a Comment